The site of the Evans Hotel has been home to a number of African-American businesses. In 1914, Harriet Bell operated a beauty shop here. In 1947, Hattie Bell operated a grocery store from a side entrance (required due to segregation restrictions). By 1927, Cyrus B. and Velma Evans were operating a hotel here. Later, the hotel was run by Meta Harper, though it continued to be called the Evans Hotel into the 1960's. Black workmen rented rooms here while they were constructing the George Washington Hotel, Handley High School, Ruth's Tea Room on Cecil Street, and the Square Deal Cafe.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
224 Sharp Street Winchester, Virginia 22601
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Evans Hotel,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed January 21, 2019, http://aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/131.