Fourth Baptist Church was the first black church in the Church Hill community of Richmond, formed before the Civil War when a group of enslaved individuals assembled to pray. Once the Civil War began, the members of Leigh Street Baptist Church, a white church, allowed the worshipers to gather in their church basement. The Reverend Scott Gwathmey formally organized the Fourth Baptist Church on December 2, 1865. Members met in a Union barracks on Chimborazo Hill. The barracks were eventually demolished, but the congregation salvaged lumber from the debris and constructed their own church building.
In 1875 this church was replaced by another frame structure, on the northern side of Church Hill near what was to be the site of the present church. The present building was completed in 1884, three months after the former church was destroyed by fire. The church remains one of Richmond's oldest black congregations today.
The church is a Greek Revival building designed by Thomas U. Walter of Philadelphia.
Geographical and Contact Information
2800 P Street