Lee County Colored Elementary School (today, Appalachian African-American Cultural Center)

Historical Significance

The Lee County Colored Elementary School was built in 1940 on land donated by Rachel Scott, an African-American barber. The school was the only primary school for blacks in all of southwest Virginia's Lee County. Its legacy is complex: even as it stood as a visible symbol of segregation, it represented education, self-sufficiency, and community.

The one-room school house closed after the 1965-66 school year. In the fall of 1966, Lee County's schools were integrated and the students were bused to Pennington High School.

Physical Description

The school building has become the Appalachian African-American Cultural Center.

Geographical and Contact Information

230 N. Leona Street
Pennington Gap, Virginia
24277
Phone: 276-546-5144/276-546-1981

Cite this Page:

Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Lee County Colored Elementary School (today, Appalachian African-American Cultural Center),” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed November 19, 2017, http://aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/242.
Site Type navigation:  Previous | Site Type Info | Next

Share this Site