Little England Chapel

Historical Significance

After the Civil War, many blacks settled in Newtown, a small tract of land in Hampton once owned by New York missionary Daniel F. Cook. Cook came to Hampton as an instructor at Hampton Institute. The Little England Chapel was once known as the Ocean Cottage Sunday School, established by George C. Rowe in 1877. Rowe was a printer at Hampton Institute and taught Sunday school classes in his home. The school became so popular that William Armstrong, brother of General Samuel Chapman Armstrong, founder of Hampton Institute, offered to construct a building. Cook offered the use of his land for a day school and Sunday school and construction was completed in 1879. Hampton students taught Sunday school lessons there to the Newtown youth. The building as served as a community center for social activities and the Sunday school continued until the mid-1930's, when the Church of Jesus began to hold regular worship services at the Little England Chapel. The Chapel remained in use until 1989.

Physical Description

This site consists of an historic building with an exhibit on African-American religion. The church was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register in 1981 and the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Geographical and Contact Information

4100 Kecoughtan Road at Ivy Home Road
Hampton, Virginia
23669-4537
Phone: 757-723-6803

Images

Little England Chapel

Little England Chapel

Source: Courtesy VA Dept. Historic Resources View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Little England Chapel,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed December 11, 2017, http://aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/247.

Related Tour

Subjects

Site Type navigation:  Previous | Site Type Info | Next

Share this Site