In the first half of the 20th century, middle- and working-class blacks lived side-by-side, regardless of socioeconomic status. The New and Byrne Street area of Petersburg was one example of such a neighborhood. The neighborhood houses included house kits bought from the Sears, Roebuck, and Company and constructed on site (such as 514 and 516 Byrne Street). Two doctors, James B. Darden and O.R. Johnson, bought one of these houses and had it constructed around the 1910s. Another house, at 131 New Street, was built around 1890 and later, in the 1920's and 1930's, converted to an African-American hospital. The house at 200 New Street, built in the 1950's for Dr. Henry Williams, was designed by the African-American architect William Henry Moses (1901-1991).
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
131, 200 New Street and 514-516 Byrne Street