Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church

Historical Significance

Our Lady Queen of Peace is a Catholic parish that was organized by a small group of African Americans in 1945, around the end of World War II. In the early 1940s, Black Catholics petitioned the Richmond Diocese for permission to establish a Catholic church in Arlington County. The Bishop granted their request, and they began holding church services in the homes of parishioners. Later, a site was found for the new church on South 19th and Edgewood Streets. Solomon Thompson, a black real estate agent, and Clarence Brown negotiated and purchased the property under the auspices of the Diocese of Richmond, and plans were initiated to construct a new church building.

Our Lady Queen of Peace remained a largely African-American congregation until approximately 1963, when calls for integration and racial equality took on new urgency. Parishioners from South and Central America began attending services. By the early 20th century, Hispanic music and traditions made up an important part of the church culture. 

Physical Description

No Physical Description Available.

Geographical and Contact Information

2700 South 19th Street
Arlington, Virginia
22204
Phone: 703-979-5590
Fax: 703-979-5580

Cite this Page:

Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic Church,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed June 29, 2017, http://aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/324.

Related Tour

Subjects

Site Type navigation:  Previous | Site Type Info | Next

Share this Site