Ravenscroft

Historical Significance

The Ravenscroft neighborhood was incorporated into Petersburg in 1784 and developed soon after. It is bounded on the west by Halifax Street, an important early transportation and commercial corridor leading from Halifax, North Carolina to the Petersburg markets. At the head of Halifax Street on South Avenue was a farmer's market known as New Market or the Halifax Market. From the 1870's to the 1970's, this area was the black business center. Ravenscroft began as an integrated neighborhood. In the late 18th and early 19th century, the Methodist Church and First Baptist Church was influential in the settlement of the first free blacks in Ravenscroft. In the 1780's, the anti-slavery Methodist Church advocated the emancipation of slaves. Two of Ravenscroft's streets, Gressett and Harding, were named after Methodist slave owners who freed their slaves during that period. By the 1940's, Ravenscroft had become a predominantly black neighborhood. Ravencroft is significant today as an intact neighborhood with a rich variety of building types and styles, some of which date to the late 18th and early 19th century.

Physical Description

No Physical Description Available

Geographical and Contact Information

Bounded by Halifax St to the West
Petersburg, Virginia
23803

Cite this Page:

Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Ravenscroft,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed March 28, 2017, http://aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/353.
Site Type navigation:  Previous | Site Type Info | Next

Share this Site