Schaeffer Memorial Baptist Church

Historical Significance

Built in 1885, the Schaffer Memorial Baptist Church shared its grounds with the Old Christiansburg Industrial Institute (now known as Christiansburg Institute). The church began informally two decades earlier in 1866 when Captain Charles S. Schaeffer, a white agent of the Freedmen's Bureau and Baptist pastor, began teaching local blacks technical, academic, and religious skills. The formal beginnings of the church took place when Schaffer founded the Christiansburg African Baptist Church. In 1885, with financial aid from the Quakers, a brick church was built adjacent to the Christiansburg Industrial Institute (completed in 1873). The church was later renamed the Schaeffer Memorial Baptist Church and is still used as a place of worship.

Physical Description

No Physical Description Available

Geographical and Contact Information

570 High Street
Christiansburg, Virginia
24073

Cite this Page:

Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Schaeffer Memorial Baptist Church,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed May 24, 2017, http://aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/378.

Related Tour

Subjects

Site Type navigation:  Previous | Site Type Info | Next

Share this Site