The Heights, earlier known as Delectable Heights, received its name in the early 19th century when it was contrasted with the unhealthy lowlands of the city of Petersburg. It was annexed to the city in 1816, and although lots were laid out before the 1830's, it was sparsely populated and considered to be the "suburbs" of Petersburg. During the antebellum period, a small community of free black property owners lived along St. Marks, High Pearl, and St. Matthews Streets. John K. Shore, a free black barber residing on the corner of High Pearl and Virginia Avenue, served as one of Petersburg's first black City Councilmen in 1872.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
North off Rt 85 Petersburg, Virginia 23803
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “The Heights Historic Community,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed June 19, 2019, http://aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/422.