Fincastle Sterrett purchased what is now known as the Washington House in 1817. Sterrett was enslaved by William King, a merchant, and was later purchased from his estate by a relative of King's, Charles Carson. Carson, recognizing "Fin's" abilities, emancipated him in 1811. Sterrett was licensed to keep an ordinary (a tavern or eating house serving regular meals) on the property in 1820, where he served food, provided lodging, and entertained guests by playing jigs on his fiddle until 1833.
Three story building now serving as a private home.
Geographical and Contact Information
208 East Main Street Abingdon, Virginia 24212 Phone: 540-628-5151
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “The Washington House (formerly known as Fincastle Sterrett's Ordinary),” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed April 21, 2019, http://aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/430.