The present elementary school building stands on the site of the Gloucester Training School, established in 1921 through the efforts of Thomas Calhoun Walker (1862-1953) and others as the first free public secondary school for black students in Gloucester County. Public educational opportunities for blacks in Gloucester were limited in the early 1920's to seventh and even sixth grade levels in some cases. T.C. Walker led a fundraising effort to establish a secondary school for African Americans. The two-classroom Gloucester Training School opened in 1921 with an eighth grade class, adding ninth grade the following year, and eventually expanding through the eleventh grade in a multi-building campus. In the early 1950's, a new brick building, named for Thomas C. Walker, was constructed to serve the entire county's black student population, grades one through eleven. A twelfth grade was added by 1954. With the integration of schools and subsequent reorganizations, the school underwent several name changes as well as grade level changes. In 1986, it was renamed Thomas Calhoun Walker and converted to an elementary school.
Mr. Walker was the unpaid Superintendent of Negro Schools of Gloucester County, a pastor, lawyer, farmer, government custom's officer, justice of the peace, county commissioner, and customs collector.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
6099 T.C. Walker Road