The Truxtun Historic District was the nation's first wartime government housing project constructed exclusively for blacks. Named for the naval hero Thomas Truxtun (1755-1822), Truxtun is a forty-two acre neighborhood of 250 houses developed in 1918 to accommodate the growing workforce of blacks at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard. At the same time, a second neighborhood called Cradock was built for whites with more than 700 dwellings.
Truxtun's residences consisted of fifty duplexes and two hundred detached houses of five rooms each. The houses were constructed in four basic styles and offered indoor plumbing and electricity at a time when many blacks did not have such amenities. The Truxtun Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982 and designated a local historic district.
Geographical and Contact Information
Bounded on the east by the west side of Frederick Blvd., on the south by the rear property lines of the 2200 block of Portsmouth Blvd., and of the 3300 block of Deep Creek Blvd.