The educational institution now known as Virginia College and Virginia Seminary is one of several Virginia schools of higher education founded in the late nineteenth century to help bring the state's blacks into the mainstream of society. The Reverend P. F. Morris, pastor of Lynchburg's Court Street Baptist Church, offered the resolution that authorized the establishment of what was first known as the Lynchburg Baptist Seminary. In 1900 the school was renamed Virginia Theological Seminary and College. The college and seminary were divided administratively into separate entities in 1972. Despite the loss of its oldest building and principal landmark, Virginia College and Virginia Seminary remains the Lynchburg area's oldest institution of higher learning and oldest of the pioneering black-affiliated educational institutions of the South.
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information