After operating at various locations for several years, Brown's Barber Shop in Winchester opened at 439 North Cameron Street in 1943; a decade later, barbers Spottswood Brown, William Brown, and Archie Burns worked there. In addition to offering barbering services, Brown's was a place where black men could socialize freely. The local chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) was organized here in the late 1940's, and in 1949 a committee of black men and women developed a strategy for opening the Handley Library to black patrons. By the late 1950's, the library was integrated, and other Winchester businesses later followed suit
No Physical Description Available
Geographical and Contact Information
439 North Cameron Street Winchester, Virginia 22601
Cite this Page:
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, “Brown's Barber Shop,” African American Historic Sites Database, accessed June 19, 2019, http://aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/66.